Our team of public health inspectors guides schools in preventing, minimizing, and removing hazards. Our priority is the safety of students, staff, and others in the school community.
We offer these services:
- Expert advice on outbreak prevention and control in schools, including guidance on handwashing, cleaning, and disinfecting
- Information on school indoor air quality and mechanical ventilation
- Consultations and approvals for food services in schools, and routine inspections of permitted school food activities and programs (like cafeterias, canteens, breakfast programs, and food preparation areas)
- Information and referrals for school food safety training
- Water sampling and guidance on how to use water safely in schools during a boil water advisory
- Resources on safe school and public playspaces
- Guidance on how schools can cope with emergencies, like poor outdoor air quality, sewage back-ups, or loss of water, heat, or power
- Information and referrals for students and families on rental housing health and safety, quality child care, and other topics
To reach the public health inspector for your school, use our online form to contact AHS Environmental Public Health or call 1-833-476-4743.